Monday, August 10, 2009

Copyleft and Hymns

We hardly notice the print at the bottom of the pages of our songbooks, but at the bottom of most pages you will see a tiny blurb of legalese. This tiny copyright notice has great implications. By law, this copyright gives the author of the song the sole right to copy it, to create derivative works from it, and to distribute it by sale or license to the public.

To create those songbooks that we use each week, someone had to obtain licenses to legally copy those songs and sell the collection the public. You couldn't, for instance, legally photocopy those songs for use in your congregation without first obtaining a license, even if there was no monetary profit in it for you. You would have to contact the copyright holder to get permission for each and every song. What a chore!

As Christians, we must respect the law of the land, and I see several burdens copyright poses Christians in order to stay compliant:
  • A financial burden to buy licensed copies. Of course, copyright holders may not charge for licenses, but the burden is still upon those who want to make the copy to obtain it.
  • A burden of a stagnant repertoire of songs. You see the same ol' songbooks at congregations everywhere and creating supplemental songbooks means obtaining licenses.
  • A burden on events like camps or lectureships. Who paid for those licenses? A congregation? The organizers? The attendees?
Recently, there has been great momentum behind the idea of the Creative Commons and their set of licenses to help facilitate free legal-sharing and copying of creative works like songs. Their licenses allow copyright holders to maintain their copyright while allowing certain uses of their work. Creators choose to allow free distribution of their works while maintaining any of the following:
  • Attribution - You must be given credit for your work
  • Share Alike - Derivative works must be given the same license as the original
  • Noncommercial - Copies or derivative works must not be used for profit
  • No derivative works - As it says, the original must remain intact without modification.
To me, the ideal license would be the "Attribution Share-Alike" or the "Attribution Non-Commercial Share-Alike". Authors can decide for themselves what combination of the above is best for them.

Think of the implications if all songs were licensed in such a way. Just imagine a congregation -- without the money to pay for the latest songbooks -- can now go to the web and download the songs that they think are appropriate and scriptural, and compile their own songbooks and supplements legally, for free! Furthermore, there's no more temptation to violate the law in order to praise God. What a blessing!

What do songwriters think about licensing their songs this way? Is there anything holding you back? I encourage you to consider it, comment below, and visit the Creative Commons website to learn more.

6 comments:

  1. This is an excellent idea, and i back anyone who is in favor! Thanks for getting the word out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. There's a lot to comment on here. I know that in the church, at least, the primary reason why hymnists copyright their hymns is to prevent alteration. Certainly, none of us have any expectation of gaining financially from them. I'm also familiar with Creative Commons. All of my Bible-class workbooks are under a Creative Commons license. I've never seriously considered (re)licensing my hymns under Creative Commons because of. . . tradition and hadn't really thought about it, I guess. It's an interesting idea, because running down all the individual copyright holders is SUCH a pain. I'm not exactly one of the people who's going to be listened to about something like this, but I will post the link on a couple of hymnist forums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Matt. I definitely want to hear the opinion of hymnists on this and to work out if there are any drawbacks to this idea.

    I didn't think there was a profit-motive for song writers, although I wouldn't fault anyone if they wanted to be compensated. Don't muzzle the ox - especially a musically talented ox.

    If alterations are a problem, then "Attribution No Derivatives" may be the way to go. My question would then be, are songbooks considered a derivative work? I would think not, but I Am Not a Lawyer (TM).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a bit of digging, and it looks like the "Attribution No Derivatives" license does make an exception for what they term "collections".

    Section 3 says:

    Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright) license to exercise the rights in the Work as stated below:

    1. to Reproduce the Work, to incorporate the Work into one or more Collections, and to Reproduce the Work as incorporated in the Collections; and,
    2. to Distribute and Publicly Perform the Work including as incorporated in Collections.

    and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand copyright laws. At the bottom of each of mine, I put the copyright, and then I also state that they may be freely copied for worship purposes only, but that changes require my approval.

    For, wow ... I guess it's been about 10 years now? ... I've been trying to put together a children's songbook of Bible songs. They're being put together with songs I remember from childhood and things I've learned more recently, and of course, I've thrown in several of my own (that are really just new words to old tunes like "Mary Had a Little Lamb"). My real drawback to finishing is that I'm quite sure some of these MUST be copyrighted, but I have no idea where they came from. I bet some of them aren't even like the original anymore. I sing some songs differently than what the Cedar Park church does. Whose version is right? The world may never know!

    The point is ... I agree that there should be some way for churches to access and use spiritual songs for God's glory as long as there is no financial gain involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In case you haven't noticed, not all songs have the "legalese" at the bottom, and can be copied at will.

    This goes most of the older ones and quite a few of the new ones...

    ReplyDelete